Monday, January 26, 2009

On the Table or in the Trash: Scott's Short Ribs by Barefoot Contessa

Last Saturday I watched Barefoot Contessa: Back to Basics on the Food Network.  She and TR and another fellow were planning dinner and her contribution was short ribs. (The recipe is also in Barefoot Contessa Family Style). I have never had short ribs before and thought I would try making them.  Yesterday  I cut up all the  vegetables, preheated the oven to roast the short ribs,  took out the short ribs and they smelled awful!  I guess 5 days was too long to keep them in the frig.  I knew it was a long time, but I put off making them friday, and didn't want to freeze them.  Anyway, since I had all the veg cut up, my husband went to WF at lunch and bought more short ribs.  



Short ribs before I roasted them.



Sauteing carrots, onions, fennel, celery, and leeks.


 Short ribs after they've been roasted 15 minutes.


I tried to load a photo of the final product, but it wouldn't work.

I had some left over couscous that I warmed up with chicken stock.   That helped cut the sauce which was a little wine-y and fennel-y.  The short ribs had a good taste, but I think they should be cooked at least 3 hours.  They still had a lot of fat between the meat strands.  Longer cooking should melt that fat away.  B did eat the beef, but I was the only one who ate the sauce. The house still smells this morning like the sauce.  So, less wine, less fennel and more cooking would make this recipe a thumbs up.  But last night's dinner was a In the Trash.  


No comments: