Friday, November 6, 2009

I Am Glad I Am Glad I Am Not A Giraffe

I was looking through some "Photos in the News" at the Chicago Tribune website, when I came across this one:


This handout photo provided by the Miami Metrozoo shows an unnamed female giraffe being cleaned by her mother Kita at the Miami Metrozoo. The calf was born last Tuesday, and weighed in at 135 lbs. and stands almost 6 ft. tall.


This is the exact caption that was underneath the picture:

This handout photo provided by the Miami Metrozoo shows
an unnamed female giraffe being cleaned by her mother Kita
at the Miami Metrozoo. The calf was born last Tuesday and
weighed in at 135 lbs, and stands almost 6 ft. tall.

Now, the gestation period for a giraffe, according to Wikipedia, is between 400 and 460 day. Those of you who know me have heard me complain how long I have been pregnant with Charlie. And for those who haven't heard me, the answer is forever. But after hearing about poor Mrs. Giraffe, I am glad I am a human. I'll still complain, but I'll feel a bit bad when I do. Why should I complain when I give birth after 40 weeks, to something that is, most likely, less than 8 pounds?


    1 comment:

    Jennifer said...

    You are hilarious. Mrs. Giraffe is better off than Mrs. Elephant. When it gets really bad (worse) think of that?