Thursday, April 23, 2009

Recipe: Cakey Chocolate Chip Cookies

This is a favorite cookie recipe in our house.  Until I found the recipe at the Martha Stewart website, my chocolate chip cookies spread, and were not the cakey the way Mike likes them.  I make these cookies in spurts.  Sometimes a couple of times a week, then maybe a month or so goes by before I make them again.  It boils down to this.  If I make cookies, I eat cookies.  


Some supplies.

Instead of chocolate chips, I used m&ms.  I had some
left over from Easter.


The finished product.

The Recipe.

Ingredients

Makes about 3 dozen

  • 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 14 tablespoons (1 3/4 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 3/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/4 cup packed light-brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
  • 2 large eggs
  • 2 cups (about 12 ounces) semisweet and/or milk chocolate chips

DIRECTIONS:

  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a small bowl, whisk together the flour and baking soda; set aside. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the butter with both sugars; beat on medium speed until light and fluffy. Reduce speed to low; add the salt, vanilla, and eggs. Beat until well mixed, about 1 minute. Add flour mixture; mix until just combined. Stir in the chocolate chips.
  • Drop heaping tablespoon-size balls of dough about 2 inches apart on baking sheets lined with parchment paper.
  • Bake until cookies are golden around the edges and set in the center, 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from oven, and let cool on baking sheet 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack, and let cool completely. Store cookies in an airtight container at room temperature up to 1 week.


If I am making these cookies for just my family, I make a half batch.  A half batch also fits nicely on two cookies sheets, so less time actually baking because I can put two sheets in at the same time.  Just rotate halfway through baking.

No comments: