Monday, April 13, 2009

Cake and Cupcakes

I made a maple cake with maple frosting and carrot cupcakes with maple cream cheese frosting this past weekend.  I am caked out.  

This is how the cake looked in the book

This is my cake.

The cake was OK.  (I would post the recipe, but it is in a cookbook (Country Living - Great Cakes) and I am to lazy to type it all out.)  Mike said it was a little dry and I thought the frosting was sweet - and I have a major sweet tooth.   There were also supposed to be candies walnuts on the top of the cake, but neither Mike nor I had luck making them.  The recipe said to reduce the maple syrup and cook until the thermometer sad 300 degrees.  I burnt it.  Smelled bad too.  Mike used a thermometer, but also gauged it by color pulling it off the eat when it started to become dark.  When he poured it over the walnuts it didn't set up.  So, naked cake it was.  


Carrot Cupcakes



Carrot Cake Cupcakes


INGREDIENTS

8tablespoons unsalted butter , melted and cooled
3/4cup granulated sugar
1/4cup packed dark brown sugar
2large eggs
1 1/4cups all-purpose flour
1/2teaspoon salt
1/2teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/8teaspoon ground cloves
3/4teaspoon baking powder
1/2teaspoon baking soda
1/2pound carrots , peeled and grated on small holes of box grater
1/2cup currants or chopped raisins (optional)
1/2cup toasted, chopped walnuts , plus extra for garnish (optional)

INSTRUCTIONS

1. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 350 degrees. Line standard muffin tin with cupcake liners.

2. Whisk butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar, and eggs together in large bowl. Mix in remaining ingredients until thoroughly combined.

3. Divide batter evenly among cupcake liners. Bake until skewer or toothpick inserted in cupcake comes out clean, 15 to 18 minutes (25 minutes if using currants and walnuts). Cool cupcakes in muffin tin 5 minutes, then remove and cool completely on wire rack. Frost cupcakes with a thick and even layer of frosting. 

MAPLE FROSTING

  • 150g butter, smooth
  • 100g brown sugar
  • 100g cream cheese (Philadelphia), room temperature
  • 100ml maple sirup
  • 200g powdered sugar

Mix the butter with the sugar well - I use my KitchenAid.
Add the cream cheese and maple syrup.
Add as much powdered sugar to get desired consistency.  (Make sure the powdered sugar is sifted.)
The cupcakes were good.  I used organic powdered sugar and it was so lumpy.  I actually processed it in the food processor and then forgot to sift it.  It really needed to be sifted as well. Out of the two, the cupcakes were better.  Right now I am done baking.  Between the cake balls, the maple cake and the carrot cake, I am done.  I should be spring cleaning or making B cute little terry pants to wear over her bathing suit.  Maybe I will have a chance to hit JoAnn's tomorrow.  I also want to check out a couple of patterns Carol at Kidding Around mentioned on her blog.


No comments: