Sunday, April 26, 2009

Homemade Granola

My friend Jennifer recommend the cookbook Baked to me.  I had heard of the bakery the book is named after - I saw one of the owners on the Martha Stewart show.  I had even tried the recipe Matt Lewis demonstrated on the show.  But, when I looked through the book, I found quite a few recipes I wanted to try.  The first recipe I made was the granola.  I had all the ingredients already and it looked simple.  

I did change it up a bit.  Whole almonds and hazelnuts are too hard for B to eat, so I substituted pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds. And I used olive oil.  Then while I was baking it, it didn't seem to be crisping up, so I extended the baking time.  I was worried it wouldn't turn out, but it is really good.  So good, I made it Friday and I am making more right now!


GRANOLA

2 cups rolled oats 1/4 cup firmly light brown sugar
1 tea cinnamon 1 tea vanilla
1 tea salt 1/3 c whole almond
3 TBSP plus 1 tea vegetable oil 1/3 cup whole hazelnuts
1/4 cup honey 1/3 cup golden raisins
1/3 cup dried cherries

Preheat oven to 325.  Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

IN a large bowl, toss the oats with the cinnamon and salt.

In a medium bowl, stir together oil, honey, brown sugar and vanilla.  Whisk until completely combined.

Pour the honey mixture over the oats mixture and use your hands to combine them: Gather up some of the mixture in each hand, and make a fist. Repeat until all of the oats are coated with the honey mixture.

Pour the mixture into the prepared baking sheet.  Spread it out evenly, but leave a few clumps here and there for texture.

Bake for 10 minutes, then remove from the oven and use a metal spatula to lift and flip the granola.  Sprinkle the almonds over the granola and return the baking sheet to the oven.

Bake for 5 minutes, then remove from the oven and use a metal spatula to lift and flip the granola.  sprinkle the hazelnuts over the granola and return the baking sheet to the oven.

Bake for another 10 minute, then remove from the oven.  Let cool completely.  Sprinkle the raisins and cherries over the granola and let cool completely on the baking sheet.  Then use your hands to transfer it to an air tight container.  The granola will keep for a week.


The next Baked recipe I want to try is the Monster Cookies.  This book is great, it is definitely one to buy.

No comments: