Monday, February 16, 2009

On the Table or in the Trash: Soft Sugar Cookies with Frosting

B loves frosted roll out cookies.  I have made Martha Stewart's sugar cookies recipe with royal icing and they were good, but I wanted a better frosting.  Frosting that is frosting, not icing.  I found this recipe somewhere online - unfortunately, I do not remember where.  I copied it and emailed to myself.  

Soft Sugar Cookie Recipe

Beat:
1 c butter
1 c sugar

Add:
3 eggs beaten
1 t vanilla

Sift and mix into sugar mixture:
3 c flour
2 t cream of tartar
1 t baking soda
1 t ground nutmeg

Roll dough on a lightly floured surface and cut with a simple cookie cutter. Roll about 1/2 inch thick.  *THis is a really soft dough, try not to add too much flour so your cookies will stay soft and moist.
Bake at 425 for about 10 minutes or until lightly golden.

My Notes:  I did not add the nutmeg.  I formed the dough in a disk and refrigerated it for about an hour.  Then I rolled it out between 2 pieces of parchment.  The dough is very sticky.  Use a simple cutter is right, I tried snowflakes and they looked like lumpy stars after I baked the cookies.  I also chilled the cutouts on the parchment covered cookie sheet before I baked them.  I thought this might help maintain the shape.  

Basic Frosting Recipe:

1/3 c butter
3 c powdered sugar
3 T cream or milk
1.5 t vanilla

Beat together all ingredients until smooth.

My Notes: This frosting needed way more cream to make it spreadable.  And don't forget to sift the powdered sugar.  

All in all the result was a tasty.  Not pretty, but good.  In this photo, I used a round cutter and my daughter picked the color (also not pretty).   If you are not looking for a cookie with a crisp edge, this is a winner.  Verdict: On the Table.

No comments: