Friday, February 27, 2009

On the Table in the Trash: Red Wine and Pear Sorbet

I was looking for dinner recipes in Every Day Food, and came across a recipe for Red Wine and Pear Sorbet.  Since I have my new ice cream maker burning a hole on my counter, I thought I would give it a try.  I let the bartlett pears ripen until they were a pale yellowish-green.  I deviated a bit from the recipe.  I didn't have red wine left over like I planned, so I used a cran-juice cocktail (in my Every Day Food magazine, this was given as an option, it doesn't mention it in the website).  I also used 1/3 cup agave nectar* instead of sugar and only a cup of water because agave counts as liquid.   And, since I have an ice cream maker, I used an immersion blender to puree the pear base instead of dirtying the food processor.  

My pears, peeled and cubed.


Pears simmering in liquid.


After I pureed the pears in the pot.


I am disappointed with the color of the sorbet.  The photo in my magazine show a beautiful rose colored scoop of sorbet.  Because I used the cranberry juice cocktail, I didn't achieve such a beautiful color.  I am sure sorbet with wine will also taste better.  I tried to cut and paste a photo from the Martha Stewart website, but it wouldn't copy.  Look at the color of the sorbet here.

This sorbet is a big hit with B and my husband (and me too).  So I deem it On the Table.


* I am new to agave.  This is my first try with it.  It viscosity is similar to honey, but doesn't have a distinct taste.  It is 1.4 times sweeter than sugar so you don't use it one to one.  It also is lower on the glycemic index, so it doesn't have the same affect on your blood sugar.  Here is more agave information.

No comments: