Sunday, July 5, 2009

July 3rd and 4th

As usual, when we have one thing to do, we have many. So weekends are dead slow, with nothing to do. Others are cram packed. Last week we had a lot to do.

Wednesday evening, I went to the first meeting of a cooking club. We didn't actually cook, but we discussed when to meet and what we wanted to do - primarily canning. And, we all brought appetizers. There were fantastic cheeses, gazpacho with cherries, gourgeres, fabulous sangria, fruit with a great sauce that was flavored with amaretto, smoked salmon sandwiches (my contribution), arugala and edamame spread with crostini, another cheese with fresh cherries, fruit skewers and out of this world rice pudding with rhubarb compote. We should have all brought the recipes to share, because everything was incredible!!! And, I should have noted the cheeses, because they also rocked.

Thursday we went to Furry Murray's birthday party. There were many young celebrators, B was in heaven, and I was in heaven getting to sit on a great porch talking with friends. There were hot dogs of course and great lemon cupcakes for Murray to share.

Friday, B got her hair cut. I made cupcakes, 2 kinds of ice cream, and wanted to make coffee cake for the 4th of July parade, but didn't get around to it. We headed over to Mike's sister Kate's house after B woke up. We went over to wish Eileen and Ryan "Happy Birthday."

We went swimming at their neighborhood pool, and had pizza and salad. It was cold, so only the kids went in the pool. Then we walked back to the cousin's house and had s'mores made on their cool backyard fire pit. We planned to be home by 8:30, but it didn't work out that way.

Trying to convince Mike to get in the cold water.

Cute hair right? She got it cut that morning.

Cousin Eileen.

I love to see her smiling in the pool.

B's swimming like a sea lion - her words.

On the morning of the 4th, we got up early. We wanted to be at my sister's at 8:30. That means we had to leave at 7:30, earlier if we wanted to stop and get a treat. And, the promise of a donut is the only thing that got B out of bed - and that was at 7:10! We didn't leave the house by 7:30, but by 7:45. We stopped and got donuts. Mike and I got cake donuts with chocolate frosting and B got donut holes. She is just like her cousin Jeana, she loves donuts!!! When I got back in the car, B's face was contorted with excitement.

So we were late to Lee's house, but she waited for us and we rode our bikes to her friend's house for the parade. I would have taken more pictures, but the battery was dying on my camera. See, if we had a rotten time and got home earlier on Friday night, I would have gotten stuff ready and packed batteries! Oh, well.

Anyway, the parade was good and my sister's friend had great food. The best breakfast burritos I have ever had! Then we rode back to Lee's - in the rain - and ate more! Guacamole, BBQ chicken, potatoes, salads, chips, hamburgers. Plus, the ice cream and the cupcakes. I swore Saturday night, I would never eat again. It was a full house, my nephew had a bunch of friends over - they were playing some made up game of tree golf, and my niece had a friend over too. It was a lot of fun!

At the Parade - poor thing looks tired here too!

B fell asleep at Lee's house. She was tired.

We were all tired. I am still tired today!

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Sometimes a sleepy Monday is worth all fun everyone had over the holiday weekend. I love the pics of B in the pool!