Thursday, February 9, 2012

I Made These!!!! Bathing Suit, Cute Dress, And Two T-Shirts

So, you know, it has been a long time since my last post (I mean besides the introduction of Heart Shell). And, I know you have been waiting on pins and needles to hear what has been happening in the Brady House.  Well, Gentle Reader, we are having our floors done, and really, your ears are way to delicate to hear what I think about that particular subject.  Do you know what I call the floor guy (Don't worry Mike, I am cleaning it up)?  Remember Mash?  Hawkeye called Major Burns "Ferret Face?"  Well, replace ferret with another 4 letter "F" word.  Criminy, this guy, Ole' FF has been here since the 2nd of January and the floors are still not finished.  IT may have something to do with the fact that he didn't show up today until 9:45.  Where did we find him?  We can thank Medium Tony.  Or not!

So, we have the TV set up in the basement with all of my craft supplies.  So while the girls play or watch TV, I sew, or paint or eat chocolate and drink green tea, anything that keeps me sane (and no, it really isn't working).  Still, a good thing is I made some stuff.  Like the photo below.  I made that bathing suit B is wearing.  I used one of her crewcuts suits as a template, made a pattern and voila!  Bathing suit.  Lined and everything.  What I shouldn't tell you is this is the second fabric, and the third top.  And countless flower and ruffle tries.  I am currently working on a suit for Charley, so hopefully, it won't take as many attempts (though, I had to cut out a second suit.  The serger ate my first one.

 
And seriously, how cute is this one?  Despite the basement surroundings!




Next up, when we were moving, I found a little beach dress of mine that was a bit too short.  I used the Dixie Version of Leila and Ben's Sweet dress.


 My friend Nicky and I talked about challenging ourselves to make our girls a t-shirt inspired by Boden.  Nicky at Bluebird and the Boy replicated this shirt.    Me?  Nada, zilcho, no way.  I didn't like my fabric, the tee I had chosen to work with, I just couldn't make it work.  However, I saw this Boden Shirt, and thought, well, I can do that.  And I did.  Using my Silhouette and there fabric paint vinyl plus some Jacquard Lumiere fabric paint, I made this shirt.  (If you are using a darker color, use the Lumiere, the regular colors don't show up well.) And to top it off?  I mixed some Fabric Mod Podge with Martha Stewart glitter (about 1 to 1), and like magic, I glitter the pink fix and the bubbles!  However, I would heat set the paint and then glitter.  And don't forget, if you try this, to wash the shirt on gentle.  B's shirt got mixed up with the regular laundry and some of the glitter washed off. 




Since I made B a shirt, I couldn't let Charley feel left out, so at Mike's suggestion, I did a skull and cross bones for her, in the Lumiere purple.  She wasn't sure about it, but add a tutu and some sparkly shoes and Charley is all over it!



I have another dress made -  this one is for Charley.  I used the same Dixie version of the sweet dress and some cute lady bug fabric I bought at Joann's 2 or 3 years ago.  It was when B was into ladybugs.  But then, for some reason, before I could make her anything, she was afraid of them.



Sorry, bad picture.  In the basement you know!   I used foldover elastic as the straps.  I have never used it before and I don't know if I'll use it again.  It is a bit slippy.  Anyway, I am working on Charley's suit and hopefully will have it done by her swim lesson on Monday.  I have a ton of ideas.  I am trying to make all their dresses for this summer.  I know I will buy stuff too, cause really, I love crewcuts and Mini Boden, but I also like the unique stuff I make too.  I have a Pinterest Board for my ideas.  I also want to try printing some fabric or spraying it or something.  I am not a fan of ordering fabric, but the knit choices at Joann's stink!  I will probably order some bathing suit fabric as well as this,
though it is spendy.  I don't think I sew that well!

1 comment:

Nichole said...

Okay, basement or no basement, you've been busy!! I love LOVE the dresses!! And your efforts with the suit totally paid off...I can't wait to see the next one! THe details are so sweet!! Nice job!

(and I totally have to make Gracie a shirt w/ glitter. coolest.mom.ever.)