Sunday, June 27, 2010

Charlie and Food, Actually Mango

Charlie is almost 6 months and she has been interested in food for awhile, but hasn't really be interested in pureed food. I made carrots, tried squash out of a jar and pureed rice too. She really wasn't into them. Maybe 2 or 3 little tastes.

Since Charlie was still interested in what I was eating, I threw all conventional wisdom aside and gave her small bits of what I was eating. Nothing too big. Some cantaloupe, mango, avocado, a bit of edamame or beans. Turns out what I was doing is called Baby Led Weaning. Luschka at Diary of a First Child turned me on to it.

So, today I officially started it. I sliced some mango into planks and let Charlie pick it up and gnaw on it. Pro, she loved it! Con, it was a huge mess, but she was happy.

I ordered a book on the subject to get the total idea, and it should be here on Tuesday. Very excited.






I have to admit, Layla ate a bit of it out of Chuck's hands. I was surprised that she could pick up the mango. It is slippery, but she did a good job. I wonder what she will eat tomorrow?

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Stick your finger down the middle of a banana - it will break into 3 long pieces - perfect for little hands.