Friday, June 12, 2009

Bruschetta Salad

We eat at a little catering company about once a week.  For the last couple weeks or so, they have had a bruschetta salad that I love.  Well, I had to make it at home and this is the recipe I found.

Image

Romaine lettuce, chopped - 4-6 ribs (I use whatever lettuce I have, arugula, mesclun, red leaf)
Fresh mozzarella, diced - 3 ounces (I buy the little balls and split them in half)
Roma tomatoes, sliced - 2 each (I use split cherry tomatoes)
Basil vinaigrette (see below) - about 3 ounces 
Ciabatta, split, drizzled with olive oil, and grill on the grill or in a grill pan

Basil Vinaigrette: 
Fresh basil, chopped - 8 leaves 
Olive oil - 3 tablespoons 
Red wine vinegar - ½ tablespoon 
Balsamic vinegar - 1 teaspoon 
Dijon mustard - ½ teaspoon 
Garlic, chopped - 1 clove 
Crushed red pepper - a pinch 
Salt and pepper - to taste 

I whisk the dressing in the bottom of a bowl, pile the ingredients on top, them toss.  I garnish with more basil.  It can even sit a bit.  I suppose you could add red onion, red peppers - roasted or not, cucumbers, whatever.  

No comments: